Every industry has their own lingo, and exterior home improvement is no exception. If you want to learn more about your siding replacement, you have to understand the terms used by your choice of contractor. We share some of them here.
- Backerboard: This refers to a flat material installed over the home exterior, providing an even surface for installing the siding boards.
- Channel: This means the spot of the corner post or accessory trim where siding panels are inserted. Channels may also refer to the trim itself and are usually named for the letter of the alphabet to which they look similar. For example, there are siding trims called J-channel and F-channel.
- Drip cap: Also called the head flashing, the drip cap is an accessory installed with vertical siding that ensures water “drips” away from the panels instead of infiltrating them.
- Face-nailing: As the term implies, it’s a method of siding installation that involves putting nails on the “face” of the siding, with the nails exposed rather than hidden. Face-nailing is generally frowned upon, and you should be wary of any contractor who installs your siding this way.
- Lap: Short for overlap, this is what happens when one siding panel extends over another one. Laps are necessary in siding installation because they hide the nails attaching the siding boards to the home exterior.
- Scoring: This is the term used to describe the light cutting of a siding panel so that, when bent, the siding panel will snap easily into two, creating a clean edge for each section.
The more you understand your siding replacement, the easier it will be to make smarter decisions about your project. For this reason, make sure to hire a reliable siding contractor like Bardfor Xteriors who will take the time to explain key details about the job. If you have any questions or just want to know what certain siding terms mean, we’ll be more than happy to answer them.
Get in Touch With Us
Make your siding replacement project easier and stress-free by turning to a premier exterior home renovation company like Bradford Xteriors. We proudly serve homeowners in Columbus, OH, and other areas in Franklin County. Get started on your siding upgrade by calling us at (614) 483-6215 or filling out this contact form. We look forward to hearing from you!