If your roof has suffered damage following a storm, it’s a good idea to hire professional roofing contractors to remedy the damage. But you shouldn’t hire just anyone, especially the first people to knock on your door and make you an offer. In particular, it pays to look out for storm chasers. In this post, roofing company Bradford Xteriors explains how to spot and avoid them.
What Are Storm Chasers?
Storm chasers are fake roofing contractors who arrive in the wake of severe weather incidents. They take advantage of desperate homeowners by offering to do as many repairs as quickly as possible, and for an attractive price. It may sound appealing to most homeowners, but the workmanship is often shoddy or in some cases, non-existent.
How to Spot Storm Chasers
- Ask important questions. Where is their company based? It’s best to hire a local roofer from your area. If they’re not from your area, you have reason to be wary. Be careful, as some storm chasers try to avoid suspicions by partnering with a local company.
- If they are pressuring you to sign an Assignment of Benefits or other document, that’s also a red flag. Do not sign anything from them without proper research. Signing an AOB will hand over all your insurance policy rights to recover costs. A trustworthy company will not demand you to assign over your rights for them to use.
- If it’s too good to be true, think about it first. They may offer over the top incentives. It is illegal for them to pay your insurance deductible for you or even offer you a cashback incentive.
How to Avoid Storm Chasers?
- Contact your insurance company first. They can help by sending a trusted estimator to your home. An estimator will be able to evaluate the damage of your home after the storm. This will help you start the claims process.
- Don’t trust roof and siding installation offers from the first people that knock on your door. Look for a trustworthy roofing company with your own careful research. Your best bet is a local company in your area. A local company is an advantage, as they are easier to get in touch with and will always be around to address any issue you may have.
- Check their credentials. They should be licensed, certified, and insured. Reviews and references will also help you to make an informed decision.
- You should be able to get warranty on your repairs. Ask about their warranty. What will it cover and what it won’t, also how long the warranty will be good for? If they do not offer a warranty, do not hire them.
Trust Bradford Xteriors with all your roofing needs. Call us at (614) 483-6215 or fill out our contact form to book an appointment. We serve homeowners in Columbus, Dublin, and Upper Arlington, Ohio.